Systematics Seminar Spring 2008
This is the home page of the UConn EEB department's Systematics Seminar. This is a graduate seminar devoted to issues of interest to graduate students and faculty who make up the systematics program at the University of Connecticut.
- 1 Meeting time and place
- 2 Theme for Spring Semester 2008
- 3 Schedule for Spring Semester 2008
- 3.1 Tuesday, January 22, 2008: Basal clades
- 3.2 Friday, February 1, 2008
- 3.3 Friday, February 8, 2008
- 3.4 Friday, February 15, 2008
- 3.5 Friday, February 22, 2008
- 3.6 Friday, February 26, 2008
- 3.7 Friday, February 29, 2008
- 3.8 Friday, March 7, 2008
- 3.9 Friday, March 14, 2008
- 3.10 Friday, March 21, 2008
- 3.11 Friday, March 28, 2008
- 3.12 Friday, April 4, 2008
- 3.13 Friday, April 11, 2008
- 3.14 Friday, April 18, 2008
- 3.15 Friday, April 25, 2008
- 3.16 Friday, May 2, 2008 (final meeting of Spring 2008)
- 4 Past Systematics Seminars
Meeting time and place
We are meeting this semester in the Bamford Room (TLS 171) Fridays from 2-3pm. Let's try to get started on time, as another group is meeting in the Bamford Room starting at 3pm on Fridays.
Theme for Spring Semester 2008
The theme this semester is Tree Thinking. David Baum (Univ. Wisconsin, Madison) is writing a book on Tree Thinking and has agreed to let us read the chapters he has written in return for some constructive criticism. Baum's book will be supplemented with some thought-provoking and heated-debate-generating papers on subjects such as these:
- can you ever say that a clade is basal?
- do non-uniform clade priors make sense?
- what can and can't fossils say about node age
- when gene trees and species trees are both right, but different
- the signature of an adaptive radiation
Some suggested papers are listed below the schedule in the section entitled Some possibilities.
Schedule for Spring Semester 2008
Note: the papers linked here require a user name and password to access. If you have forgotten the user name and/or password, contact Paul Lewis. If you want to upload a PDF file for an upcoming discussion, use the Systematics Seminar PDF upload form. Uploading PDFs requires the same user name and password as viewing PDFs.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008: Basal clades
Discussion leader: Paul Lewis
Two of our Tuesday time slots this semester will be taken over by departmental seminars, so rather than waste the first time slot with an organizational meeting, let's get right into things with a consideration of the meaning of the word basal.
- Crisp, M. D., and L. G. Cook. 2005. Do early branching lineages signify ancestral traits? TREE 20(3):105-149.
- Krell, F.-T., and P. S. Cranston. 2004. Which side of the tree is more basal? Systematic Entomology 29:279-281.
Friday, February 1, 2008
Discussion leader: Frank Smith
In this paper, Kevin de Queiroz considers how to define names for clades, and discusses tree terms such as crown group, stem lineage, etc.
Friday, February 8, 2008
Discussion leader: Karolina Fucikova
- Donoghue, P. C. J., and M. J. Benton. 2007. Rocks and clocks: calibrating the Tree of Life using fossils and molecules. TREE 22:424-431.
Friday, February 15, 2008
Discussion leader: Yu(Daniel) Fan
- Velasco, J. D. 2007. Why non-uniform priors on clades are both unavoidable and unobjectionable. MPE 45:748-749.
- Pickett. K. M., and C. P. Randle. 2005. Strange bayes indeed: uniform topological priors imply non-uniform clade priors. MPE 34: 203-211.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Cancelled due to snow storm
Friday, February 26, 2008
Discussion leader: Juan Carlos Villarreal Aguilar
- Pagel et al. 2006. Large Punctuational Contribution of Speciation to Evolutionary Divergence at the Molecular Level. Science 314: 119-121.
Friday, February 29, 2008
Friday, March 7, 2008
Discussion leader: Nic Tippery
- Ricklefs, R. E. 2007. Estimating diversification rates from phylogenetic information. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22: 601-610.
Friday, March 14, 2008
No meeting (Spring Break)
Friday, March 21, 2008
Discussion leader: Roberta Engel
Friday, March 28, 2008
Discussion leader: Thiago Rangel
Friday, April 4, 2008
Discussion leader: Geert Goemans
Friday, April 11, 2008
Discussion leader: Carrie Fyler
Friday, April 18, 2008
Discussion leader: everyone and no one
Friday, April 25, 2008
Discussion leader: free for all
Friday, May 2, 2008 (final meeting of Spring 2008)
Discussion leader: Dave Wagner
- Rabosky, D. L., and I. J. Lovette. Explosive evolutionary radiations: decreasing speciation or increasing extinction through time? Submitted manuscript.