Systematics Seminar Spring 2007
This Systematics Seminar is now history! Please go to Systematics Seminar for the most current Systematics Seminar web page.
Schedule for Spring Semester 2007
January 16, 2007
- Organizational meeting, BioPharm 3rd. floor fishbowl, 4pm
January 23, 2007
- Smythe, A.B., M.J. Sanderson, and S.A. Nadler. 2006. Nematode Small Subunit Phylogeny Correlates with Alignment Parameters. Systematic Biology 55(6): 972-992.
- Note from Carrie: Please note that this is DIFFERENT than the paper we decided on at Tuesday's organizational meeting.
- This issue of Sys. Bio. is not yet available online therefore I will make a copy and put it in the EEB office. Those with a hard copy subscription of Sys. Bio. should have this issue. Note: for those with copies, Figures 3 and 8 should be in color.
January 30, 2007
- Kjer, K. M., J. J. Gillespie and K. A. Ober. 2007. Opinions on multiple sequence alignment, and an empirical comparison of repeatability and accuracy between POY and structural alignment. Systematic Biology 56: 1-14.
February 6, 2007
- Cancelled due to overlap with Rettenmeyer presentation
February 13, 2007
- Lutzoni, F., P. Wagner, V. Reeb, and S. Zoller. 2000. Integrating ambiguously aligned regions of DNA sequences in phylogenetic analyses without violating positional homology. Sytematic Biology 49: 628-651.
February 20, 2007
- Huyse, T., and F. Volckaert. 2005. Comparing Host and Parasite Phylogenies: Gyrodactylus Flatworms Jumping from Goby to Goby. Systematic Biology 54(5): 710-718.
February 27, 2007
There are two papers for this week's discussion. Read the Science paper first to get an overview of the whole quadripartite symbiosis; the Gerardo paper focuses only on the two fungal components.
- Currie, C. R., B. Wong, A. E. Stuart, T. R. Schultz, S. A. Rehner, U. G. Mueller, G.-H. Sung, J. W. Spatafora and N. A. Straus. 2003. Ancient tripartite coevolution in the attine ant-microbe symbiosis. Science 299: 386-388.
- Gerardo, N. M., U. G. Mueller, and C. R. Currie. 2006. Complex host-pathogen coevolution in the Apterostigma fungus-growing ant-microbe symbiosis. BMC Evolutionary Biology 6:88.
March 13, 2007
- Diekmann, O. E., J. L. Olsen, W. T. Stam, R. P. M. Bak. 2003. Genetic variation within Symbiodinium clade B from the coral genus Madracis in the Caribbean (Netherlands Antilles). Coral Reefs. 22: 29–33.
- M. J. H. van Oppen. 2004. Mode of zooxanthella transmission does not affect zooxanthella diversity in acroporid corals. Marine Biology. 144: 1–7.
March 20, 2007
- Ruano-Rubio, V., and Fares, M. A. 2007. Artifactual phylogenies caused by correlated distribution of substitution rates among sites and lineages: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Systematic Biology 56: 68-82.
March 27, 2007
- Mooers, A. O., and S. B. Heard. 1997. Inferring evolutionary process from phylogenetic tree shape. The Quarterly Review of Biology 72: 31-54.
April 3, 2007
- Kelchner, S. A., and M. A. Thomas. 2006. Model use in phylogenetics: nine key questions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22: 87-94.
April 10, 2007
- Leschen, R. A. B., and T. R. Buckley. 2007. Multistate characters and diet shifts: evolution of Erotylidae (Coleoptera). Systematic Biology 56: 97-112.
April 17, 2007
- Yesson, C., and A. Culham. 2006. Phyloclimatic modeling: combining phylogenetics and bioclimatic modeling. Systematic Biology 55(5): 785-802.