Systematics Seminar Spring 2007
This Systematics Seminar is now history! Please go to Systematics Seminar for the most current Systematics Seminar web page.
- 1 Schedule for Spring Semester 2007
- 1.1 January 16, 2007
- 1.2 January 23, 2007
- 1.3 January 30, 2007
- 1.4 February 6, 2007
- 1.5 February 13, 2007
- 1.6 February 20, 2007
- 1.7 February 27, 2007
- 1.8 March 13, 2007
- 1.9 March 20, 2007
- 1.10 March 27, 2007
- 1.11 April 3, 2007
- 1.12 April 10, 2007
- 1.13 April 17, 2007
- 1.14 April 24, 2007 (new time: 3pm)
Schedule for Spring Semester 2007
January 16, 2007
- Organizational meeting, BioPharm 3rd. floor fishbowl, 4pm
January 23, 2007
- Smythe, A.B., M.J. Sanderson, and S.A. Nadler. 2006. Nematode Small Subunit Phylogeny Correlates with Alignment Parameters. Systematic Biology 55(6): 972-992.
- Note from Carrie: Please note that this is DIFFERENT than the paper we decided on at Tuesday's organizational meeting.
- This issue of Sys. Bio. is not yet available online therefore I will make a copy and put it in the EEB office. Those with a hard copy subscription of Sys. Bio. should have this issue. Note: for those with copies, Figures 3 and 8 should be in color.
January 30, 2007
- Kjer, K. M., J. J. Gillespie and K. A. Ober. 2007. Opinions on multiple sequence alignment, and an empirical comparison of repeatability and accuracy between POY and structural alignment. Systematic Biology 56: 1-14.
February 6, 2007
- Cancelled due to overlap with Rettenmeyer presentation
February 13, 2007
- Lutzoni, F., P. Wagner, V. Reeb, and S. Zoller. 2000. Integrating ambiguously aligned regions of DNA sequences in phylogenetic analyses without violating positional homology. Sytematic Biology 49: 628-651.
February 20, 2007
- Huyse, T., and F. Volckaert. 2005. Comparing Host and Parasite Phylogenies: Gyrodactylus Flatworms Jumping from Goby to Goby. Systematic Biology 54(5): 710-718.
February 27, 2007
There are two papers for this week's discussion. Read the Science paper first to get an overview of the whole quadripartite symbiosis; the Gerardo paper focuses only on the two fungal components.
- Currie, C. R., B. Wong, A. E. Stuart, T. R. Schultz, S. A. Rehner, U. G. Mueller, G.-H. Sung, J. W. Spatafora and N. A. Straus. 2003. Ancient tripartite coevolution in the attine ant-microbe symbiosis. Science 299: 386-388.
- Gerardo, N. M., U. G. Mueller, and C. R. Currie. 2006. Complex host-pathogen coevolution in the Apterostigma fungus-growing ant-microbe symbiosis. BMC Evolutionary Biology 6:88.
March 13, 2007
- Diekmann, O. E., J. L. Olsen, W. T. Stam, R. P. M. Bak. 2003. Genetic variation within Symbiodinium clade B from the coral genus Madracis in the Caribbean (Netherlands Antilles). Coral Reefs. 22: 29–33.
- M. J. H. van Oppen. 2004. Mode of zooxanthella transmission does not affect zooxanthella diversity in acroporid corals. Marine Biology. 144: 1–7.
March 20, 2007
- Ruano-Rubio, V., and Fares, M. A. 2007. Artifactual phylogenies caused by correlated distribution of substitution rates among sites and lineages: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Systematic Biology 56: 68-82.
March 27, 2007
- Mooers, A. O., and S. B. Heard. 1997. Inferring evolutionary process from phylogenetic tree shape. The Quarterly Review of Biology 72: 31-54.
April 3, 2007
- Kelchner, S. A., and M. A. Thomas. 2006. Model use in phylogenetics: nine key questions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22: 87-94.
April 10, 2007
- Leschen, R. A. B., and T. R. Buckley. 2007. Multistate characters and diet shifts: evolution of Erotylidae (Coleoptera). Systematic Biology 56: 97-112.
April 17, 2007
- Yesson, C., and A. Culham. 2006. Phyloclimatic modeling: combining phylogenetics and bioclimatic modeling. Systematic Biology 55(5): 785-802.