This is the home page of the UConn EEB department's Systematics Seminar (EEB 6486). This is a graduate seminar devoted to issues of interest to graduate students and faculty who make up the systematics program at the University of Connecticut.
- 1 Meeting time and place
- 2 Past Systematics Seminars
Meeting time and place
For the Fall 2013 semester, we are meeting in the Bamford Room (TLS 171B) Mondays 2-3pm
Monday, 26 August 2013
At this meeting we will discuss possible themes for this semester's seminar:
Monday, 2 September 2013
Labor Day, no meeting
Monday, 9 September 2013
Elizabeth Jockusch will lead the discussion this week.
We will follow up on Emily Lemmon's visit by discussing her methods paper on anchored enrichment.
- Lemmon AR, Emme SA, Lemmon EM. 2012. Anchored hybrid enrichment for massively high-throughput phylogenomics. Syst Biol. 61(5):727-44. link
Monday, 16 September 2013
Lily Lewis will lead the discussion this week
Since cichlids came up last week, it may be fun to read a cichlid RAD-seq paper:
- Wagner et al. 2013. Genome-wide RAD sequence data provide unprecedented resolution of species boundaries and relationships in the Lake Victoria cichlid adaptive radiation. Molecular Ecology 22(3):787-798 link
Here is a link to a supplementary paper folks may be interested in for an overview of the applications of RAD-sequencing (or at least those conceived of thus far):
- Davey, J. W., and M. L. Blaxter. 2010. RADSeq: next-generation population genetics. Briefings in Functional Genomics 9(5-6):416-423 link
Here is a link to a protocol for RAD-seq library prep, just in case anyone is interested:
- Etter, P. Sequenced RAD markers for rapid SNP disovery and genetic mapping. link
Finally, here is a PowerPoint concatenation of a few figures from various papers laying out how the RAD-seq process works. This may be a helpful supplement for understanding the methods in the cichlid paper link
Monday, 23 September 2013
Paul Lewis will lead the discussion this week.
- Salichos L., and Rokas A. 2013. Inferring ancient divergences requires genes with strong phylogenetic signals. Nature. 497:327–331. link
- Paul's handout on calculating internode certainty measure link
Monday, 30 September 2013
Brigette Zacharczenko will lead the discussion this week.
- Adams, 2013. Comparing Evolutionary Rates for Different Phenotypic Traits on a Phylogeny Using LikelihoodLink
Monday, 07 October 2013
Veronica Bueno will lead the discussion this week.
- Fujisawa, Barraclough_2013_Delimiting Species Using Single-Locus Data and the Generalized Mixed Yule Coalescent Approach A Revised Metho.pdf
Monday, 14 October 2013
- Yang Z., and Rannala B. 2010. Bayesian species delimitation using multilocus sequence data. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 107:9264–9269.
Monday, 21 October 2013
Simona Augyte will lead the discussion this week.