This is the home page of the UConn EEB department's Systematics Seminar (EEB 6486). This is a graduate seminar devoted to issues of interest to graduate students and faculty who make up the systematics program at the University of Connecticut.
Meeting time and place
For the Fall 2013 semester, we are meeting in the Bamford Room (TLS 171B) Mondays 2-3pm
Monday, 26 August 2013
At this meeting we will discuss possible themes for this semester's seminar:
Monday, 2 September 2013
Labor Day, no meeting
Monday, 9 September 2013
Elizabeth Jockusch will lead the discussion this week.
We will follow up on Emily Lemmon's visit by discussing her methods paper on anchored enrichment.
- Lemmon AR, Emme SA, Lemmon EM. 2012. Anchored hybrid enrichment for massively high-throughput phylogenomics. Syst Biol. 61(5):727-44. link
Monday, 16 September 2013
Lily Lewis will lead the discussion this week
Since cichlids came up last week, it may be fun to read a cichlid RAD-seq paper:
- Wagner et al. 2013. Genome-wide RAD sequence data provide unprecedented resolution of species boundaries and relationships in the Lake Victoria cichlid adaptive radiation. Molecular Ecology 22(3):787-798 link
Here is a link to a supplementary paper folks may be interested in for an overview of the applications of RAD-sequencing (or at least those conceived of thus far):
- Davey, J. W., and M. L. Blaxter. 2010. RADSeq: next-generation population genetics. Briefings in Functional Genomics 9(5-6):416-423 link
Here is a link to a protocol for RAD-seq library prep, just in case anyone is interested:
- Etter, P. Sequenced RAD markers for rapid SNP disovery and genetic mapping. link
Finally, here is a PowerPoint concatenation of a few figures from various papers laying out how the RAD-seq process works. This may be a helpful supplement for understanding the methods in the cichlid paper link
Monday, 23 September 2013
Paul Lewis will lead the discussion this week.
- Salichos L., and Rokas A. 2013. Inferring ancient divergences requires genes with strong phylogenetic signals. Nature. 497:327–331. link
- Paul's handout on calculating internode certainty measure link
Monday, 30 September 2013
Brigette Zacharczenko will lead the discussion this week.