THE MARINE BIOLOGY SEMINAR PAGE—FALL 2012 EDITION
This page is for use by participants in EEB 6483 Seminar in Marine Biology.
Eric Schultz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
How to Upload a Paper to This Site
- To upload a pdf use THIS FORM (note that you will be asked for username and password to access the form)
- Once you have used the form to upload a pdf file, it will email you the hypertext to copy and paste below the proper date (while in 'edit' mode). For additional help on doing this, consult the instructions for hypertext links in Help.
Roadmap for the Semester
- Guidelines for the seminar
||Emerging methods in phylogenetics, ecomorphology and ecophysiology to examine the diversifying potential of adaptation in functional traits
||Osmosensing (osmoreception): How aquatic organisms detect water/ion imbalances
||Local adaptation in aquatic organisms
|| The evolution of osmoregulatory function, and adaptations to divergent salinity regimes
|| Competition - linking empirical work to theory
|| Chemical crypsis in an aquatic environment
|| Near, T. J., A. Dornburg, K. L. Kuhn, J. T. Eastman, J. N. Pennington, T. Patarnello, L. Zane, D. A. Fernández, and C. D. Jones. 2012. Ancient climate change, antifreeze, and the evolutionary diversification of Antarctic fishes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109:3434-3439
|| Betancur-R., et al. 2012. Apparent signal of competition limiting diversification after ecological transitions from marine to freshwater habitats. Ecology Letters 15:822-830
|| Kultz, D. 2012. The Combinatorial Nature of Osmosensing in Fishes. Physiology 27:259-275.
|| Seale, A.P., Watanabe, S., Breves, J.P., et al. 2012. Differential regulation of TRPV4 mRNA levels by acclimation salinity and extracellular osmolality in euryhaline tilapia. General & Comparative Endocrinology 178:123-130
|| C (also B?)
|| Gomes-Mestre, I. and M. Tejado. 2003. Local adaptation of an anuran amphibian to osmotically stressful environments. Evolution 57(8): 1889-1899
|| Yamamoto, Y., M. S. Byerly, W. R. Jackman, and W. R. Jeffery. 2009. Pleiotropic functions of embryonic sonic hedgehog expression link jaw and taste bud amplification with eye loss during cavefish evolution. Developmental Biology 330:200-211.
|| Hart, S.P., Burgin, J.R., and D.J. Marshall. 2012. Revisiting competition in a classic model system using formal links between theory and data. Ecology.
|| Berdan, E.L., and R.C. Fuller. 2012 Interspecific divergence of ionoregulatory physiology in killifish: insight into adaptation and speciation. J. Zool.
|| Barimo, JF and PJ Walsh. 2006. Use of urea as a chemosensory cloaking molecule by a bony fish. The Journal of Experimental Biology 209: 4254-4261
||Detecting Intraspecific Variation in Life History Strategies: Molecular and Common Garden Approaches Reading: Hutchings JA, Swain DP, Rowe S, Eddington JD, Puvanendran V, Brown JA (2007) Genetic variation in life-history reaction norms in a marine fish. Proc R Soc B-Biol Sci 274:1693-1699
|| Thanksgiving "Break"
Papers and Notes to Download for Discussion
- Near et al. 2012 PNAS
- Notes and further reading
- Betancur-R 2012 Ecol Letters .pdf
- EEB 6482 Fall 2012 – Week 2.pdf
- Kultz 2012 Physiology
- Kultz Discussion_9,24,12.pdf
- Seale TRP Discussion_10,1,12.doc
- Questions and notes
- Jeffrey.sonic hedgehog expression link jaw and taste bud amplification with eye loss in cavefish.pdf
- EEB 6483 Fall 2012 week 6 yamamoto notes and further reading.pdf
- Hart, Burgin, & Marshall 2012 Ecology
- Hart et al 2012 Ecology - Appendix A.pdf
- Michael - Notes for Discussion.pdf
- berdan&fuller 2012.pdf
THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY—GO HOME!!