committed to making our community more environmentally aware and active
- Next meeting - THURSDAY, JULY 24, 3pm, Torrey Life Sciences 171b. It's never too early to start planning and brainstorming. We have a new semester coming up in August and we want to be ready for it!
- Sept. 4th: Fall 2008 Involvement Fair - we should participate to recruit some new members. We're already registered. Volunteers?
- Town of Mansfield's Festival on the Green is looking for volunteers to man trash/recycling/composting stations. No worries, I already volunteered us :) So, who's gonna do it? Also, we could help out with setup and cleanup. Good time! Sunday Sept. 14, noon to 5pm.
- Stickers (for paper towels, elevators, etc.): Logo Contest
- Batteries of all kinds can be recycled in TLS 175 (Ken Bernier), in case you didn't know!
- POSTERS: If you feel like spreading the word about GG, or just promoting recycling or composting, here are some posters you can use File:GreenGradsPosters2.pdf
- Recycle your sneakers - bins available all over campus (e.g. in the library) - and tell your friends!
Our current agenda:
- in cooperation with the T-shirt committee: EEB tote bags. check out the logo contest!
- audit of energy consumption for our buildings
- promoting public transportation and biking instead of driving: a mass transit promotional breakfast in the fall
- promoting recycling and using reusable utensils
- reducing waste at catered events, e.g. the Graduate Research Symposium and the Teale lectures: providing non-disposable plates and silverware (and washing them afterwards); collecting leftovers for the grad lounge.
- Move-Out Day, Move-in Day
Things YOU can do TODAY:
- Conserve energy - take shorter showers, turn off your computer at night, etc.
- Print and copy on both sides of the page
- Recycle all plastics labeled 1-7 in departmental bins
- Take the stairs, not the elevator
- Ride the bus/carpool
- Spread the word :)
|stickers and recycling||Vanessa, Karolina, Leah|
|Earth Day booth||Carrie, Maxi, Krissa|
|Carpooling/Biking/Mass transit event||Kristiina, Karolina|
|bags in the COOP||Bryan Connolly|
|Move out day||Tsitsi, Karolina|
|Symposium trash reduction||Maria|
|Surplus garden food||Bryan, Brian|
|Community outreach||Maria, Bryan, Leah|
|Campus-wide PR||Beth, Maria|
|Task 10||Volunteer 10|
or see the member list below.
Faculty Advisor: Eric Schultz
Maria Pickering (Secretary)
Karolina Fučíková (President)
Vanessa Boukili (GSS Representative)
Tsitsi McPherson (OEP Liaison)
Brad Moser (Physics Dept.)
Mary Isbell (English Dept.)
others are welcome, just put your name in here :)
Our Constitution and Bylaws:
both amended in May 2008 - OEP liaison position added to the Bylaws and grant acquisition added as a funding option in the Constitution.
- Video of our Summer-MoveOut effort as posted on MTV's "Choose or Lose" Campaign website--http://think.mtv.com/044FDFFFF00989E46001700990E4A/