We are a newly established committee within the GSA. We meet on (some) Thursdays at 5 pm in the Bamford. Our goal is to coordinate with EcoHusky and improve the environmental impact of UConn in general - but the thing we want to start with is improving our own department!
Our current agenda:
- creating an official Green Grads student organization
- in cooperation with the T-shirt committee: EEB tote bags. check out the logo contest!
- audit of energy consumption for our buildings
- promoting public transportation and biking instead of driving: perhaps a big "green transportation day" event?
- promoting recycling and using reusable utensils
- reducing waste at catered events, e.g. the Graduate Research Symposium and the Teale lectures: providing non-disposable plates and silverware (and washing them afterwards); collecting leftovers for the grad lounge.
- facilitate the transition of the student COOP to a plastic bag-free style: we may have another logo contest, this time campus-wide!
- Earth Day, April 22nd: this is going to be HUGE. And the Green Grads will be there!
Things YOU can do TODAY:
- Print and copy on both sides of the page
- Recycle all plastics labeled 1-7 in departmental bins
- Take the stairs, not the elevator
- Ride the bus/carpool
|Elevator & Bathroom flyers||Karolina & Leah|
|Task 3||Volunteer 3|
|Task 4||Volunteer 4|
|Task 5||Volunteer 5|
|Task 6||Volunteer 6|
|Task 7||Volunteer 7|
|Task 8||Volunteer 8|
|Task 9||Volunteer 9|
|Task 10||Volunteer 10|
Soon we'll have a sign-up sheet here with things we want to get done in the near future,
and we'd like to encourage you to sign up for one or more of them!
- Our next meeting: Valentine's day, Feb. 14th, 5pm, Bamford. Everyone is welcome. We'll be discussing our agenda for the spring semester.
- Willimantic Commuters--take advantage of the carpooling options! Susan Letcher, among others, is offering rides on a regular basis. Also, the 8:30 bus still exists!!!
- Focus the nation happening right now! Check it out here