committed to making our community more environmentally aware and active
*Next Meeting: TBA
- SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER FOR GIVE&GO: http://www.studentactivities.uconn.edu/co_csd_individual.php
- April 14th: Focus the nation - panel discussion w/ Dr. Anji Seth and Congressman Joe Courtney. To volunteer, contact Karolina.
- April 18th: Solar-powered concert (part of the Human Rights Week) by PIRG. To volunteer, contact Emily.email@example.com
- April 22nd: EARTH DAY! We will have a table and will give out vermicomposting kits and seedlings. Geoffrey will do a workshop on vermicomposting.
- September 13th: Mansfield Festival on the Green - mark you calendar and contact Karolina if you'd like to volunteer.
- Stickers (for paper towels, elevators, etc.): Logo Contest
- Batteries of all kinds can be recycled in TLS 175 (Ken Bernier), in case you didn't know!
- POSTERS: If you feel like spreading the word about GG, or just promoting recycling or composting, here are some posters you can use File:GreenGradsPosters2.pdf
Our current agenda:
- co-sponsoring Give & Go: http://www.ecohusky.uconn.edu/GiveandGo.html
- in cooperation with the T-shirt committee: EEB tote bags. check out the logo contest!
- audit of energy consumption for our buildings
- promoting public transportation and biking instead of driving: a mass transit promotional breakfast in the fall
- promoting recycling and using reusable utensils
- reducing waste at catered events, e.g. the Graduate Research Symposium and the Teale lectures: providing non-disposable plates and silverware (and washing them afterwards); collecting leftovers for the grad lounge.
- Move-Out Day, Move-in Day
Things YOU can do TODAY:
- Conserve energy - take shorter showers, turn off your computer at night, etc.
- Print and copy on both sides of the page
- Recycle all plastics labeled 1-7 in departmental bins
- Take the stairs, not the elevator
- Ride the bus/carpool
- Spread the word :)
|stickers and recycling||Vanessa, Karolina, Leah|
|Earth Day booth||Carrie, Maxi, Krissa|
|Carpooling/Biking/Mass transit event||Kristiina, Karolina|
|Move out day||Tsitsi, Karolina|
|Symposium trash reduction||Maria|
|Surplus garden food||Bryan, Brian|
|Community outreach||Maria, Bryan, Leah|
|Campus-wide PR||Beth, Maria|
|Task 10||Volunteer 10|
or see the member list below.
Faculty Advisor: Eric Schultz
Maria Pickering (Secretary)
Karolina Fučíková (President)
Vanessa Boukili (Treasurer and GSS Representative)
Tsitsi McPherson (OEP Liaison)
Brad Moser (Physics Dept.)
Mary Isbell (English Dept.)
Erik Lindquist (NEAG School of Education)
Sarah Treanor Geoffrey Ecker others are welcome, just put your name in here :)
Our Constitution and Bylaws:
both amended in May 2008 - OEP liaison position added to the Bylaws and grant acquisition added as a funding option in the Constitution.
- Video of our Summer-MoveOut effort as posted on MTV's "Choose or Lose" Campaign website--http://think.mtv.com/044FDFFFF00989E46001700990E4A/