committed to making our community more environmentally aware and active
*Next Meeting: Friday March 6th, 1pm, TLS 315
- North Faculty Lecture Series - Monday, March 23, 2009 @ 7PM, "Making a Difference: The Anthropology of Health in a Changing World." Dr. Merrill Singer will discuss the results of the globalization, global warming, and other eco-crises and how the field of applied medical anthropology is trying to make a difference and improve global health.
- Stickers (for paper towels, elevators, etc.): Logo Contest
- Batteries of all kinds can be recycled in TLS 175 (Ken Bernier), in case you didn't know!
- POSTERS: If you feel like spreading the word about GG, or just promoting recycling or composting, here are some posters you can use File:GreenGradsPosters2.pdf
Our current agenda:
- in cooperation with the T-shirt committee: EEB tote bags. check out the logo contest!
- audit of energy consumption for our buildings
- promoting public transportation and biking instead of driving: a mass transit promotional breakfast in the fall
- promoting recycling and using reusable utensils
- reducing waste at catered events, e.g. the Graduate Research Symposium and the Teale lectures: providing non-disposable plates and silverware (and washing them afterwards); collecting leftovers for the grad lounge.
- Move-Out Day, Move-in Day
Things YOU can do TODAY:
- Conserve energy - take shorter showers, turn off your computer at night, etc.
- Print and copy on both sides of the page
- Recycle all plastics labeled 1-7 in departmental bins
- Take the stairs, not the elevator
- Ride the bus/carpool
- Spread the word :)
|stickers and recycling||Vanessa, Karolina, Leah|
|Earth Day booth||Carrie, Maxi, Krissa|
|Carpooling/Biking/Mass transit event||Kristiina, Karolina|
|bags in the COOP||Bryan Connolly|
|Move out day||Tsitsi, Karolina|
|Symposium trash reduction||Maria|
|Surplus garden food||Bryan, Brian|
|Community outreach||Maria, Bryan, Leah|
|Campus-wide PR||Beth, Maria|
|Task 10||Volunteer 10|
or see the member list below.
Faculty Advisor: Eric Schultz
Maria Pickering (Secretary)
Karolina Fučíková (President)
Vanessa Boukili (Treasurer and GSS Representative)
Tsitsi McPherson (OEP Liaison)
Brad Moser (Physics Dept.)
Mary Isbell (English Dept.)
Erik Lindquist (NEAG School of Education)
Sarah Treanor others are welcome, just put your name in here :)
Our Constitution and Bylaws:
both amended in May 2008 - OEP liaison position added to the Bylaws and grant acquisition added as a funding option in the Constitution.
- Video of our Summer-MoveOut effort as posted on MTV's "Choose or Lose" Campaign website--http://think.mtv.com/044FDFFFF00989E46001700990E4A/