EEB 3898: Field Methods in Ornithology
Intensive Summer Session 1, June 6th - 24th, 2011 MTWThF
Instructor: Alejandro Rico
Office: Biol/Pharm 404
Office hours: variable & flexible (call, email, drop by)
➢ Acquire bird identification skills
➢ Learn how to take field notes
➢ Learn and apply basic field research techniques, study design, and data analysis
➢ Develop an individual project
o The Sibley Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern North America
o Binoculars (available from us if you don’t have any)
o Field notepad/notebook
o Sibley’s birding basics
o Birding by Ear: Eastern and Central North America
o Old shoes or hiking boots, & proper outdoor clothing (poison ivy, weather)
o Insect repellent (ticks, mosquitoes)
*: Schedule is subject to change pending weather conditions, or unforeseen birding and research opportunities.
Exams: June 15th (MIDTERM) [50 points]; June 24th (FINAL) [50 points]
Individual Project Paper: June 14th (Intro and Methods) [30 points]; June 23rd (Final) [50 points]
Individual Project Presentations: June 14th (Intro and Methods) [20 points]; June 23th (Final) [25 points]
Field Notebook Submissions: June 13th (First) [20 points]; June 21st (Final) [25 points]
Field trips = Birding exercises (5 points each): June 8th, 10th, 16th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd [30 points]
Total: [300 points]
Grading scale: A = 100-90%, B = 89-80%, C = 79-70%, D = 69-60%, F = 59-0%. Plus/minus system will be used for the final grade.
Additional References & Websites
• Bibby CJ, Burgess ND, Hill DA, Mustoe S, editors. 2000. Bird census techniques. San Diego, USA: Academic Press.
• Gill F. 2007. Ornithology. New York: W. H. Freeman and Company.
• Stiling P. 1999. Ecology: theories and application. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
• Clark, G. A. 1999. Birds of Storrs, Connecticut and vicinity. 3rd Ed. Mansfield, CT: Natchaug Ornithological Society & Joshua’s Tract Conservation and Historic Trust.
• SORA (Searchable Ornithological Research Archive): http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/index.php
• Cornell Lab of Ornithology “All About Birds”: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds
• Connecticut Ornithological Association: http://www.ctbirding.org/index.htm
• CT Audubon Society: http://www.ctaudubon.org/
• CT Department of Environmental Protection: http://www.ct.gov/dep/site/default.asp
Website design by Diego Sustaita