EEB 3898: Field Methods in Ornithology
Intensive Summer Session 1, June 8th - 26th, 2009 MTWThF
Instructor: Diego Sustaita
Office: Biol/Pharm 404
Office hours: variable & flexible (call, email, drop by)
• 22 June: Updates to schedule
• Acquire bird identification skills
• Learn basic field research techniques, study design, and data analysis
• Develop basic understanding of local bird biology & ecology
• Tentative* schedule:
|M 08||Course introduction; Bird identification [Sibley introduction]||M 15||Exam 1; Point count activity||M 22||Capture/banding activity [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/silkeyetal1999.pdf]]Silkeye et al. 1999]; Exam 2|
|T 09||Survey of local birds; Primer of avian ecology [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/macarthur1958.pdf]]MacArthur 1958]||T 16||Territory mapping lec [Manuwal & Carey 1991 pgs. 14-17/Ortega & Cappen 1999]; Territory mapping activity (I)||T 23||Data analysis lab I: Density estimation [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/thomasetal2002.pdf]]Thomas et al. 2002]|
|W 10||Survey of local birds||W 17||Radiotelemetry activity [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/chapt7.pdf]]Chapt. 7: Radio telemetry and bird movements]||W 24||Habitat measurement lec [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/bibbyetal1985.pdf]]Bibby et al. 1985]; Habitat meas activity|
|Th 11||Census techniques: Study design & line transects lec [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/manuwal%26carey1991.pdf]]Manuwal & Carey 1991 pgs. 9-11; Anderson et al. 1979]; Line transect activity||Th 18||Radiotelemetry activity (cont'ed)||Th 25||Survey of coastal birds [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/craig%26beal1992.pdf]]Craig & Beal 1992]|
|F 12||Point count/transect lec [Manuwal & Carey 1991 pgs. 11-14;Reynolds et al. 1980]||F 19||Behavioral obs. lec [[[File:Pdficon small.gif|link=http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/courses/fieldornithology/greenetal1996.pdf]]Green et al. 1996]; Behavioral obs activity; Territory mapping activity (II)||F 26||Data analysis lab II: Habitat structure, diversity, & community analysis [Stiling, Chapt.16; MacArthur & MacArthur 1961]; Final exam; Instructor evaluations|
Note: Schedule is subject to change pending weather conditions, or unforeseen birding and research opportunities.
o The Sibley Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern North America (from Co-op)
o Binoculars (available from us if you don’t have any)
o Field notepad/notebook
o Sibley’s birding basics (Knopf, New York, 2002)
o Birding by Ear: Eastern and Central North America – Peterson Field Guides
o Old shoes or hiking boots, & proper outdoor clothing (poison ivy, weather)
o Insect repellent (ticks, mosquitoes)
• Daily reading assignments
• Class exercise worksheets
• Directed project write-ups
• Weekly exams, covering:
o Bird ID by sight & sound
o Basic biology (e.g., from observations; field guide; “All About Birds”)
o Material from lectures & readings
o Field technique scenario questions
• Midterm exams (50 points)
• Daily worksheets/field notes (150 points)
• Directed project assignments (50 points)
• Final exam (50 points)
• Total (300 points)
Grading scale: A = 100-90%, B = 89-80%, C = 79-70%, D = 69-60%, F = 59-0%. Plus/minus system will be used for the final grade. Perfect attendance & participation are mandatory!
Additional References & Websites
• Bibby CJ, Burgess ND, Hill DA, Mustoe S, editors. 2000. Bird census techniques. San Diego, USA: Academic Press.
• Gill F. 2007. Ornithology. New York: W. H. Freeman and Company.
• Stiling P. 1999. Ecology: theories and application. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
• Clark, G. A. 1999. Birds of Storrs, Connecticut and vicinity. 3rd Ed. Mansfield, CT: Natchaug Ornithological Society & Joshua’s Tract Conservation and Historic Trust.
• SORA (Searchable Ornithological Research Archive): http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/index.php
• Cornell Lab of Ornithology “All About Birds”: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds
• Connecticut Ornithological Association: http://www.ctbirding.org/index.htm
• CT Audubon Society: http://www.ctaudubon.org/
• CT Department of Environmental Protection: http://www.ct.gov/dep/site/default.asp