Evolutionary Biology Spring 2015 Study Questions
Lecture 1 - Jan 20th 2015
1) What type of adaptation would you expect to see in an organism trying to survive in an environment with visual predators?
2) What’s one possible explanation for powered flight appearing only once in invertebrates and at least three times in vertebrates?
3) Why would it be advantageous for an organism to resemble something else; i.e. a caterpillar that looks like bird droppings or an orchid that smells like carrion?
4) What’s convergence? Can you think of an example we saw in lecture?
5) Do similar traits always evolve to solve the same challenges? For instance, are all brightly colored organisms just trying to get a mate?
6) In what ways can humans be a source of selection to other organisms?
7) What’s the difference between evolutionary change and phenotypic plasticity?