EEB 2244/2244W Ecology Spring 2010

From eebedia

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: == Course Overview == <table> <tr> <td>Lectures:</td><td>Tu,Th 9:30-10:45, '''Biological Sciences/Physics 130'''</td> </tr> <tr> <td></td><td>[http://news.uconn.edu/emergency_closings.php...)
 
 
(29 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
<table>
 
<table>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Lectures:</td><td>Tu,Th 9:30-10:45, '''Biological Sciences/Physics 130'''</td>
+
<td>Lectures:</td><td>Tu,Th 11:00-12:15, Torrey Life Sciences 154</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td></td><td>[http://news.uconn.edu/emergency_closings.php Emergency closing information]</td>
+
<td>Discussion Sections:</td><td> Torrey Life Sciences 311
 +
<tr>
 +
<td>[http://news.uconn.edu/emergency_closings.php Emergency closing information]</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Textbook:</td><td>Futuyma, D. J. 2009. ''Evolution'', 2nd ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA</td>
+
<td>Textbook:</td><td>Ricklefs, Robert E. 2010. <I>The Economy of Nature</I>, SIXTH edition. W.H. Freeman, New York</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Web site:</td><td>[http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php?title=EEB_2245/2245W_Evolutionary_Biology_(Spring_2010) http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php?title=EEB_2245/2245W_Evolutionary_Biology_(Spring_2010)]</td>
+
<td>Also required (<I> Available from the UConn Coop):</I></td>
 +
<td>   CPS clicker; Ecology Discussion Manual (Fall 2010)</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Lecture topics</td><td>[[EEB 2245/2245W Lecture topics (Spring 2010)]]
+
<td>   PLEASE NOTE: Everything below this comment is OUT OF DATE.  Please ignore until we have a chance to update it.  ~RK Colwell</td>
 +
<tr>
 +
<td>Web site:</td><td>[http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php?title=EEB_2244/2244W_Ecology_Spring_2010 http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php?title=EEB_2244/2244W_Ecology_Spring_2010]</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Announcements:</td><td>[[EEB 2245/2245W Announcements (Spring 2010)]]</td>
+
<td></td><td>See also HuskyCT for lecture summaries, assignments & more</td>
 +
</tr>
 +
<tr></tr>
 +
<tr>
 +
<td>Lecture & Lab topics:</td><td>[[EEB 2244/2244W Lecture topics (Spring 2010)]]
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td></td><td>'''Note:''' Problem sets and other supplements will be posted on the Announcements page</td>
+
<td>Announcements:</td><td>[[EEB 2244/2244W Announcements (Spring 2010)]]</td>
 +
</tr>
 +
<tr>
 +
<td></td>
 
</table>
 
</table>
  
=== EEB 2245W ===
+
=== EEB 2244W ===
In addition to this web site those of you who are enrolled in the W part of the course will want to refer to the EEB 2245W web site for information about W assignments and requirements.
+
In addition to this web site those of you who are enrolled in the W part of the course will want to refer to the EEB 2244W web site for information about W assignments and requirements [http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php/EEB2244W-S2010 here].
 
+
[http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php/EEB2245W-S2010 EEB 2245W (Spring 2010)]
+
 
+
=== Honors Conversion ===
+
'''Information coming''' from Spring 2009 [http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php?title=EEB_2245/2245W_Honors_Conversion_(Spring_2009) Honors Conversion page].
+
  
 
== Instructors ==
 
== Instructors ==
  
 
<table>
 
<table>
<td>[http://www.eeb.uconn.edu/people/caira/caira.htm Dr. Janine Caira]</td>
+
<td>[http://www.eeb.uconn.edu/people/urban/ Dr. Mark Urban]</td>
</tr>
+
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Office:</td><td>TLS 483</td>
+
<td>Office:</td><td>BioPharm 200A</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Phone:</td><td>486-4060</td>
+
<td>Phone:</td><td>486-6113</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>E-mail:</td><td>janine.caira (at) uconn.edu</td>
+
<td>E-mail:</td><td>mark.urban (at) uconn.edu</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
Line 50: Line 56:
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>[http://darwin.eeb.uconn.edu Dr. Kent Holsinger]</td>
+
<td>Dr. Richard King </td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Office:</td><td>BioPharm 305A</td>
+
<td>Office:</td><td>TLS 470</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Phone:</td><td>486-4059</td>
+
<td>Phone:</td><td>486-5662</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>E-mail:</td><td>kent.holsinger (at) uconn.edu</td>
+
<td>E-mail:</td><td>richard.w.king (at) uconn.edu</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
Line 67: Line 73:
 
</table>
 
</table>
  
== Teaching assistants ==
+
== Teaching assistant ==
 
<table>
 
<table>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td></td><td>Rachel Prunier</td><td>Maria Pickering</td>
+
<td>Susan Herrick</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Office:</td><td>BioPharm 302A</td><td>TLS 480</td>
+
<td>Office:</td><td>TLS 379</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Phone:</td><td>486-5731</td><td>486-1882</td>
+
<td>Phone:</td><td>486-5434</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>E-mail:</td><td>rachel.prunier (at) uconn.edu</td><td>maria.pickering (at) uconn.edu</td>
+
<td>E-mail:</td><td>susan.herrick (at) uconn.edu</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>Office hours:</td><td>By arrangement</td><td>By arrangement</td>
+
<td>Office hours:</td><td>By arrangement</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
 
</table>
 
</table>
  
== Grading ==
+
==Basis of Grading ==
 
{|
 
{|
 
|-
 
|-
|Exam 1
+
|Short Exam 1 (30 points; 10%)
 
|February 9
 
|February 9
 
|-
 
|-
|Exam 2
+
|Midterm Exam (60 points; 20%)
 
|March 4
 
|March 4
 
|-
 
|-
|Exam 3
+
|Short Exam 2 (30 points; 10%)
|April 6
+
|April 8
 
|-
 
|-
|Exam 4
+
|Final Exam (90 points; 30%)
|Date not set
+
|Thursday, May 6th, 10:30a.m.-12:30
|
+
|-
 +
|Discussion Section (70 points; 25%)- Attendance Manditory
 +
|-
 +
|'Clickers' participation  (15 points; 5%)
 +
|-
 +
|Total 300 points (100%)
 
|}
 
|}
'''EEB 2245: ''Your grade will be based on your performance in four lecture exams.''''' Your lowest score on the first 3 exams will be dropped, and your scores on the two remaining exams and on the final exam will each constitute one-third of your final grade. University regulations require that students who miss the final exam without an excuse from the Dean of Students receive an F for that exam. Thus, you are required to take the final exam. Note: because you are allowed to drop your lowest grade, '''''we will not give make-up exams.'''''
 
  
'''EEB 2245W:''''' Your final grade in the lecture portion of the course will be calculated as above.  This grade will constitute 75% of your final course grade.  Your grade in the '''W part''' of the course, as determined by your “W” instructor, will constitute the remaining 25% of your final course grade, except that '''''an F in the W part of the course will result in an F for the entire course. An F in the lecture part of the course will also result in an F for the entire course.'''''  Refer to the 2245W handout and [http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php/EEB2245W-S2010 website]  for further information. Dr. Richard King (TLS 470; tel: 486-4662; richard.w.king@uconn.edu) is the coordinator of the W part of the course.  
+
Only a note from a physician or the Dean sent to me in advance of an exam will be accepted as a valid excuse for a missed exam. A make up will be scheduled at a later date.
 +
 
  
 +
'''EEB 2244W:''' Your final grade in the lecture portion of the course will be calculated as above.  This grade will constitute 75% of your final course grade.  Your grade in the '''W part''' of the course, as determined by your “W” instructor, will constitute the remaining 25% of your final course grade, except that '''''an F in the W part of the course will result in an F for the entire course. An F in the lecture part of the course will also result in an F for the entire course.'''''  Refer to the 2244W handout and [http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php/EEB2244W-S2010 website]  for further information. Dr. Richard King (TLS 470; tel: 486-5662; richard.w.king@uconn.edu) is the coordinator of the W part of the course.
  
 
== Academic integrity ==
 
== Academic integrity ==
Line 112: Line 124:
 
<blockquote>Academic misconduct is dishonest or unethical academic behavior that includes, but is not limited, to misrepresenting mastery in an academic area (e.g., cheating), intentionally or knowingly failing to properly credit information, research or ideas to their rightful originators or representing such information, research or ideas as your own (e.g., plagiarism).</blockquote>
 
<blockquote>Academic misconduct is dishonest or unethical academic behavior that includes, but is not limited, to misrepresenting mastery in an academic area (e.g., cheating), intentionally or knowingly failing to properly credit information, research or ideas to their rightful originators or representing such information, research or ideas as your own (e.g., plagiarism).</blockquote>
  
Academic misconduct will lead to loss of credit for the piece of work concerned. Repeated or egregious misconduct may lead to failure in the entire course. If you are enrolled in EEB 2245W, remember that an F in the W part of the course results in an F for the entire course.
+
Academic misconduct will lead to loss of credit for the piece of work concerned. Repeated or egregious misconduct may lead to failure in the entire course. If you are enrolled in EEB 2244W, remember that an F in the W part of the course results in an F for the entire course.
  
 
[[Category:EEB Courses]]
 
[[Category:EEB Courses]]

Latest revision as of 12:05, 2 September 2010

Contents

Course Overview

Lectures:Tu,Th 11:00-12:15, Torrey Life Sciences 154
Discussion Sections: Torrey Life Sciences 311
Emergency closing information
Textbook:Ricklefs, Robert E. 2010. The Economy of Nature, SIXTH edition. W.H. Freeman, New York
Also required ( Available from the UConn Coop): CPS clicker; Ecology Discussion Manual (Fall 2010)
PLEASE NOTE: Everything below this comment is OUT OF DATE. Please ignore until we have a chance to update it. ~RK Colwell
Web site:http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/index.php?title=EEB_2244/2244W_Ecology_Spring_2010
See also HuskyCT for lecture summaries, assignments & more
Lecture & Lab topics:EEB 2244/2244W Lecture topics (Spring 2010)
Announcements:EEB 2244/2244W Announcements (Spring 2010)

EEB 2244W

In addition to this web site those of you who are enrolled in the W part of the course will want to refer to the EEB 2244W web site for information about W assignments and requirements here.

Instructors

Dr. Mark Urban
Office:BioPharm 200A
Phone:486-6113
E-mail:mark.urban (at) uconn.edu
Office hours:By arrangement
Dr. Richard King
Office:TLS 470
Phone:486-5662
E-mail:richard.w.king (at) uconn.edu
Office hours:By arrangement

Teaching assistant

Susan Herrick
Office:TLS 379
Phone:486-5434
E-mail:susan.herrick (at) uconn.edu
Office hours:By arrangement

Basis of Grading

Short Exam 1 (30 points; 10%) February 9
Midterm Exam (60 points; 20%) March 4
Short Exam 2 (30 points; 10%) April 8
Final Exam (90 points; 30%) Thursday, May 6th, 10:30a.m.-12:30
Discussion Section (70 points; 25%)- Attendance Manditory
'Clickers' participation (15 points; 5%)
Total 300 points (100%)

Only a note from a physician or the Dean sent to me in advance of an exam will be accepted as a valid excuse for a missed exam. A make up will be scheduled at a later date.


EEB 2244W: Your final grade in the lecture portion of the course will be calculated as above. This grade will constitute 75% of your final course grade. Your grade in the W part of the course, as determined by your “W” instructor, will constitute the remaining 25% of your final course grade, except that an F in the W part of the course will result in an F for the entire course. An F in the lecture part of the course will also result in an F for the entire course. Refer to the 2244W handout and website for further information. Dr. Richard King (TLS 470; tel: 486-5662; richard.w.king@uconn.edu) is the coordinator of the W part of the course.

Academic integrity

The Student Code describes the responsibility for honesty in academic work as follows (Appendix A):

Academic misconduct is dishonest or unethical academic behavior that includes, but is not limited, to misrepresenting mastery in an academic area (e.g., cheating), intentionally or knowingly failing to properly credit information, research or ideas to their rightful originators or representing such information, research or ideas as your own (e.g., plagiarism).

Academic misconduct will lead to loss of credit for the piece of work concerned. Repeated or egregious misconduct may lead to failure in the entire course. If you are enrolled in EEB 2244W, remember that an F in the W part of the course results in an F for the entire course.

Personal tools