Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy
FALL 2012 (EEB 3273)
Kurt Schwenk, Ph.D., Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Office: PharmBio 600
Lab: PharmBio 410, 412
Voice: (860) 486-0351
Lab phone: 860-486-4158
Fax: (860) 486-6364
Dr. Schwenk's web page
HOW TO GET TO DR. SCHWENK'S OFFICE FROM TORREY LIFE SCIENCES:
1. Go to basement of Torrey
2. Go to east end of hallway (the end closest to Pathobiology bldg., where PNB labs are)
3. Enter Pharmacy-Biology Bldg. through double doors
4. Walk down ramp to elevator - take elevator to 6th floor
5. Exit elevator and turn sharp right - office door is right there (my name is on the wall)
HOW TO GET TO DR. SCHWENK'S OFFICE FROM PHARM-BIO BLDG. MAIN ENTRANCE:
1. Enter Pharmacy-Biology Bldg. through main entrance
2. Go to lobby elevator, take to 6th floor
3. Exit elevator, turn right
4. Walk until you come to closed double doors that have sign on them saying 'Alarm Will Sound' - IGNORE THIS and walk right through
5. Walk down hallway past labs and at end of hall pass through another set of double doors into freight elevator vestibule
6. Kurt's office is immediately to left of elevator
Bill Ryerson, MS (doctoral student)
Office/Lab: PharmBio 412
Voice: (860) 486-4158
Fax: (860) 486-6364
- (1) TEXTBOOKS—The textbooks have been ordered, but they probably will not be available in the Co-op until after classes begin. Keep checking. If you notice that they are in the Co-op, please email me so that I can make a general announcement.
- (2) IF YOU WANT TO TRY TO FIND NEW OR USED COPIES OF THE BOOKS ON YOUR OWN, HERE IS THE INFO: (both books are required)
- Functional Anatomy of the Vertebrates, 3rd edition, K. Liem et al. (authors), 2001. Brooks/Cole—Thomson Learning (publishers), ISBN: 0-03-022369-5
- Vertebrate Dissection, 9th ed., Homberger and Walker (authors), 2004. Brooks/Cole—Thomson Learning, ISBN:0-03-022522-1
- (3) OTHER THINGS YOU NEED FOR THE CLASS:
- A lab notebook—any kind you like—for making notes and sketches during skeletal labs and dissections (it will not be graded—just for your benefit).
- A dissection tool kit—the one in the Co-op that is for BIO 1107 is fine.
- A lab coat or old shirt—anything to keep the shark grease off of your clothes!
- Colored pencils—minimally red, blue, yellow and green. You will need these for lecture, but they would be useful in lab, as well.
- (4) FINALS WEEK—OFFICIAL UCONN POLICY STATEMENT:
- Final assessment week for fall 2012 takes place from Monday, December 10th through Sunday, December 16th. Students are required to be available for their exam and/or complete an assessment during the time stated in the Registrar's Office Schedule. If you have a conflict with this time you must visit the Office of Student Services and Advocacy to discuss the possibility of rescheduling this assessment.
- NEW THIS YEAR—OSSA is REQUIRING that students who have a conflict about which they have or should have had advanced notice (bunched, religious obligation, legal/medical appointments…) MUST seek permission to reschedule their assessment NO LATER THAN November 30th.
- Please note that vacations, previously purchased tickets or reservations, graduations, social events, misreading the assessment schedule and over-sleeping are not viable excuses for missing a final assessment. If you think that your situation warrants permission to reschedule, please contact the Office of Student Services and Advocacy (2nd floor Wilbur Cross) to meet with a staff member.
CLICK ON PDF SYMBOL TO DOWNLOAD HANDOUT
Bruce Jayne's lizard locomotion videos
Turtle locomotion & breathing
Armadillo gathering grass
Cheetah animated model