Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Connecticut
75 North Eagleville Road
Storrs, CT 06269
Office: TLS 473
E-mail: Brigette Zacharczenko
I have always loved insects. When I was 7 years old I decided I wanted to be an entomologist... and look at me now!
- Systematics, evolution, and behavior of insects
- Blacklighting to capture moths, rearing caterpillars in the lab
- Scientific illustration
- Entomology collection curation
- I am an avid crossfitter at Crossfit Storrs
- I have several pets including two rabbits, three snakes, one gecko, one salamander, and a bunch of guppies
- If I'm not at school or caring for my pets, I am probably sewing. Since 2007 I have run my sewing business, Weird Bug Lady, on Etsy.com. I make plush toys of insects and other animals.
Places to find me on the internet
Ph.D. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
2010 - present
University of Connecticut, Storrs
B.Sc. Applied Zoology
Invertebrate systematics, speciation, and developmental biology. Evolutionary biology of the noctuid moth genus Acronicta with a focus on larval mimicry complexes, and changes in morphology and behavior between instars.
Fall 2010: BIOL1102 Foundations of Biology (TA)
Spring 2011: BIOL1102 Foundations of Biology (TA)
Fall 2011: BIOL1102 Foundations of Biology (TA)
Spring 2012: BIOL1102 Foundations of Biology (TA)
Summer 2012: EEB4252 Field Entomology (Instructor)
Fall 2012: EEB4250 General Entomology (TA)
Spring 2013: EEB2245 Evolutionary Biology (TA)
Kaatskill Life magazine (2003 – present)
Popular nature articles and photography published in a quarterly magazine.
The “Learning about Kaatskill Kritters” section is written alternately by Brigette and Nicholas Zacharczenko.
Peer reviewed publications
CARCNET 2010 20th Annual Meeting at Acadia University
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, September 17-20
Canadian Amphibian and Reptile Conservation Network
Presented: Geographic variation in dorsal colour patterns in Fowler’s toads (with David M. Green)
2011-present EEB Graduate Student Association Treasurer
- Connecticut Entomological Society
- Entomological Society of America