Difference between revisions of "Bird lab meetings"

From EEBedia
Jump to: navigation, search
(EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology)
(EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology)
 
(14 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
== EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology ==  
 
== EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology ==  
  
This page lists weekly meetings of the UConn Bird Group.  Students (grads and undergrads) who are doing research in our labs and who are able to attend on a regular basis should sign up for 1 credit to participate in this class.  Students doing research are expected to lead at least once a semester; if time permits, twice may be possible. Sessions can focus on research updates, stats questions, practice talks, or other items that benefit from a large, diverse group of ornithologists. '''In Spring 2021 we will not read papers or pursue other engagements that require prep by anyone but the lead before meeting.''' Students may need a permission number to enroll; please contact whoever your adviser is.
+
This page lists weekly meetings of the UConn Bird Group.  Students (grads and undergrads) who are doing research in our labs and who are able to attend on a regular basis should sign up for 1 credit to participate in this class.  Students doing research are expected to lead at least once a semester; if time permits, twice may be possible. Sessions can focus on research updates, stats questions, practice talks, or other items that benefit from a large, diverse group of ornithologists. Students may need a permission number to enroll; please contact whoever your adviser is.
  
 
Please note that the goal of these sessions is for EVERYONE to be engaged and participate in a discussion of the topic at hand. Students should come ready to contribute to the conversation every week.  Those of us on the faculty side have a tendency to ramble on and dominate the conversation.  We'll try not to do this, but it will be easier for us to behave if you all come with lots to say. If you're new to the group don't worry about asking "foolish" questions.  They're often the most important ones as they either make the rest of us think about things that we've got complacent about or they show us that we're not communicating things very well.
 
Please note that the goal of these sessions is for EVERYONE to be engaged and participate in a discussion of the topic at hand. Students should come ready to contribute to the conversation every week.  Those of us on the faculty side have a tendency to ramble on and dominate the conversation.  We'll try not to do this, but it will be easier for us to behave if you all come with lots to say. If you're new to the group don't worry about asking "foolish" questions.  They're often the most important ones as they either make the rest of us think about things that we've got complacent about or they show us that we're not communicating things very well.
  
'''Meeting time:''' Tuesdays 2:00 – 3:30 pm
+
'''Meeting time:''' Wednesdays 1:00 – 2:30 pm
  
'''Location:''' zooming through the ether; get the link from Margaret Rubega
+
'''Location:''' Gant W416
  
 
If you have other ideas for things worth discussing (especially relating to professional development), please talk to one of the faculty.  Past topics that we have discussed include: how to put together a CV for grad schools/job applications, ethics in research, how to write proposals, the mechanics of managing research funds, etc., etc.
 
If you have other ideas for things worth discussing (especially relating to professional development), please talk to one of the faculty.  Past topics that we have discussed include: how to put together a CV for grad schools/job applications, ethics in research, how to write proposals, the mechanics of managing research funds, etc., etc.
Line 15: Line 15:
 
If the date you want is already taken and it says in the notes that it is OK to switch to another date, go ahead and do so (but don't switch someone to a date when they say they will not be there .. and double-check with them that the switch is OK).
 
If the date you want is already taken and it says in the notes that it is OK to switch to another date, go ahead and do so (but don't switch someone to a date when they say they will not be there .. and double-check with them that the switch is OK).
  
'''NOT being used in Spring 2021, but we recommend reading''': ''Key Avian Papers in Ornithology and the Ornithologists Who Wrote Them'' (KAPOOWWTs) [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_cNzUR0wBJLB895Sa3jh3ff0adVESRM1d6zOaHugWhg/edit?usp=sharing Click here]  
+
''Key Avian Papers in Ornithology and the Ornithologists Who Wrote Them'' (KAPOOWWTs) [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_cNzUR0wBJLB895Sa3jh3ff0adVESRM1d6zOaHugWhg/edit?usp=sharing Click here]  
  
 
[http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/images/d/dc/Ladder_of_Feedback_Worksheet_.pdf Ladder of Feedback worksheet]
 
[http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/images/d/dc/Ladder_of_Feedback_Worksheet_.pdf Ladder of Feedback worksheet]
Line 26: Line 26:
 
!width="400"|Notes
 
!width="400"|Notes
 
|-
 
|-
| 26 Jan || All || Organization ||  
+
| 1 Sep || All || Organization ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 2 Feb || Kevin and Margaret || Job and salary negotiation ||  
+
| 8 Sep || Chris || How publishing works ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 9 Feb || Chris || Journal selection and submission ||  
+
| 15 Sep || Frank || GRFP - feathers ||  
 
|-
 
|-
| 16 Feb || Jessica || Finding grants and applying for them ||  
+
| 22 Sep || Cindy|| Darwin's finches ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 23 Feb || Sam || "Something" ||  
+
| 29 Sep || Jamie || contour feathers ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 2 Mar || Ben || Crayfish poster ||  
+
| 6 Oct || No meeting || Rally for a Peaceful Planet ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 9 Mar || Franco || "Something else" ||     
+
| 13 Oct || Max || feathers ||     
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 16 Mar || Jordana || "Probably a presentation" ||  
+
| 20 Oct || Sam || ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 23 Mar || Frank || Feathers ||   
+
| 27 Oct || Franco || bird models ||   
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 30 Mar || Eliza || Practice defense ||  
+
| 3 Nov || No meeting || ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 6 April  || Ketki || Berkeley birds and the pandemic (or similar)||   
+
| 10 Nov || Danielle || insect data sets from ornithologists ||   
 
|-
 
|-
| 13 April || NO MEETING || Spring Break  ||  
+
| 17 Nov || Jess || terns ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 20 April  || || ||  
+
| 24 Nov || NO MEETING || Thanksgiving Break||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 27 April  || || ||  
+
| 1 Dec || || SICB practice ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 4 May || || Finals Week  ||  
+
| 8 Dec ||Ketki || research ideas  ||  
 
|-   
 
|-   
 
|}
 
|}

Latest revision as of 19:18, 10 November 2021

EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology

This page lists weekly meetings of the UConn Bird Group. Students (grads and undergrads) who are doing research in our labs and who are able to attend on a regular basis should sign up for 1 credit to participate in this class. Students doing research are expected to lead at least once a semester; if time permits, twice may be possible. Sessions can focus on research updates, stats questions, practice talks, or other items that benefit from a large, diverse group of ornithologists. Students may need a permission number to enroll; please contact whoever your adviser is.

Please note that the goal of these sessions is for EVERYONE to be engaged and participate in a discussion of the topic at hand. Students should come ready to contribute to the conversation every week. Those of us on the faculty side have a tendency to ramble on and dominate the conversation. We'll try not to do this, but it will be easier for us to behave if you all come with lots to say. If you're new to the group don't worry about asking "foolish" questions. They're often the most important ones as they either make the rest of us think about things that we've got complacent about or they show us that we're not communicating things very well.

Meeting time: Wednesdays 1:00 – 2:30 pm

Location: Gant W416

If you have other ideas for things worth discussing (especially relating to professional development), please talk to one of the faculty. Past topics that we have discussed include: how to put together a CV for grad schools/job applications, ethics in research, how to write proposals, the mechanics of managing research funds, etc., etc.

Graduate students can sign up to present by logging in to EEBedia and just editing this page. Undergraduates should talk to one of the faculty.

If the date you want is already taken and it says in the notes that it is OK to switch to another date, go ahead and do so (but don't switch someone to a date when they say they will not be there .. and double-check with them that the switch is OK).

Key Avian Papers in Ornithology and the Ornithologists Who Wrote Them (KAPOOWWTs) Click here

Ladder of Feedback worksheet


Week of: Who Topic Notes
1 Sep All Organization
8 Sep Chris How publishing works
15 Sep Frank GRFP - feathers
22 Sep Cindy Darwin's finches
29 Sep Jamie contour feathers
6 Oct No meeting Rally for a Peaceful Planet
13 Oct Max feathers
20 Oct Sam
27 Oct Franco bird models
3 Nov No meeting
10 Nov Danielle insect data sets from ornithologists
17 Nov Jess terns
24 Nov NO MEETING Thanksgiving Break
1 Dec SICB practice
8 Dec Ketki research ideas


LIST OF POSSIBLE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/DISCUSSION TOPICS:

How to deal with failure/rejection

How to find a post-doc

How to find grant opportunities

How to write a cover letter for your manuscript

Surviving an oral exam

How to be a good reviewer

Journal selection when you have a paper to submit

Organizational Hacks

How to keep track of your literature collection: Citation Manager software

How to keep up on literature

Email management