Difference between revisions of "Bird lab meetings"

From EEBedia
Jump to: navigation, search
(EEB 5895: Invest Sp Topics)
 
(159 intermediate revisions by 13 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
== EEB 5895: Invest Sp Topics ==
+
== EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology ==
  
This page lists weekly meetings of the Rubega/Elphick/Tingley labs.  Students (grads and undergrads) who are doing research in our labs and who are able to attend on a regular basis should sign up for 1 credit to participate in this class.  Grad students doing research are expected to present at least once a semester; if time permits, twice may be possible. At least one presentation should be an update of some part of your research (the other can be on whatever is helpful to you with your research - a paper from the literature, stats questions, practice talk, etc., etc.).  Undergraduates and BS/MS students should expect to present something on their research once a semester (perhaps sharing a session with another student).  Undergraduates will need a permission number to enroll; please contact Margaret, Morgan, or Chris (depending on who your adviser is).
+
This page lists weekly meetings of the UConn Bird Group.  Students (grads and undergrads) who are doing research in our labs and who are able to attend on a regular basis should sign up for 1 credit to participate in this class.  Students doing research are expected to present at least once a semester; if time permits, twice may be possible. Presentations can include research updates, a paper from the literature, stats questions, practice talk, or other items that benefit from a large, diverse group of ornithologists. Students will need a permission number to enroll; please contact whoever your adviser is.
  
 
Please note that the goal of these sessions is for EVERYONE to be engaged and participate in a discussion of the topic at hand. Students should come ready to contribute to the conversation every week.  Those of us on the faculty side have a tendency to ramble on and dominate the conversation.  We'll try not to do this, but it will be easier for us to behave if you all come with lots to say. If you're new to the group don't worry about asking "dumb questions".  They're often the most important ones as they either make the rest of us think about things that we've got complacent about or they show us that we're not communicating things very well.
 
Please note that the goal of these sessions is for EVERYONE to be engaged and participate in a discussion of the topic at hand. Students should come ready to contribute to the conversation every week.  Those of us on the faculty side have a tendency to ramble on and dominate the conversation.  We'll try not to do this, but it will be easier for us to behave if you all come with lots to say. If you're new to the group don't worry about asking "dumb questions".  They're often the most important ones as they either make the rest of us think about things that we've got complacent about or they show us that we're not communicating things very well.
  
'''Meeting time:''' Tuesdays 11 - 12:30
+
'''Meeting time:''' Tuesdays 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. (although we try to keep meetings to 1hr15 if possible)
  
 
'''Location:''' Bamford Room (TLS 171b)
 
'''Location:''' Bamford Room (TLS 171b)
  
If you have other ideas for things worth discussing (especially relating to professional development), please talk to Margaret, Chris, or Morgan.  Past topics that we have discussed include: how to put together a CV for grad schools/job applications, ethics in research, how to write proposals, the mechanics of managing research funds, etc., etc.
+
If you have other ideas for things worth discussing (especially relating to professional development), please talk to one of the faculty.  Past topics that we have discussed include: how to put together a CV for grad schools/job applications, ethics in research, how to write proposals, the mechanics of managing research funds, etc., etc.
  
Graduate students can sign up to present by logging in to EEBedia and just editing this page.  Undergraduates should talk to Margaret, Morgan, or Chris.
+
Graduate students can sign up to present by logging in to EEBedia and just editing this page.  Undergraduates should talk to one of the faculty.
  
If there is a published paper to read, please put in a link to it.  Note, that the actual papers probably will not be accessible unless you are on a computer connected to the UConn network (you can connect from any computer using uconn vpn and your netID).
+
If there is a published paper to read, please put in a link to it.  Note, that the actual papers probably will not be accessible unless you are on a computer connected to the UConn network (you can connect from any computer via the UConn library homepage: lib.uconn.edu).
  
 
If the date you want is already taken and it says in the notes that it is OK to switch to another date, go ahead and do so (but don't switch someone to a date when they say they will not be there .. and double-check with them that the switch is OK).
 
If the date you want is already taken and it says in the notes that it is OK to switch to another date, go ahead and do so (but don't switch someone to a date when they say they will not be there .. and double-check with them that the switch is OK).
 +
 +
'''Starting Fall 2018''': ''Key Avian Papers in Ornithology and the Ornithologists Who Wrote Them'' (KAPOOWWTs) [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_cNzUR0wBJLB895Sa3jh3ff0adVESRM1d6zOaHugWhg/edit?usp=sharing Click here]
 +
 +
[http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/images/d/dc/Ladder_of_Feedback_Worksheet_.pdf Ladder of Feedback worksheet]
  
  
 
{| border="1" cellpadding="2"
 
{| border="1" cellpadding="2"
!width="75"|Week of:
+
!width="90"|Week of:
!width="150"|Who
+
!width="170"|Who
 
!width="400"|Topic
 
!width="400"|Topic
 
!width="400"|Notes
 
!width="400"|Notes
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 30 Aug || -- || No lab meeting ||  
+
| 27 Aug ||––––––––––––––––  || Intro session  ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 6 Sept || all || speed talk introductions || 5 mins, 3 slides
+
| 3 Sep  || Andrew || KAPOOWWT with Martin Wikelski || Going wild: what a global small-animal tracking system could do for experimental biologists [https://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/2/181]
 
|-
 
|-
| 13 Sept || -- || ||  
+
| 10 Sep || Austin || KAPOOWWT with Margaret Morse Nice || Problems of Incubation Periods in North American Birds [https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v056n04/p0173-p0197.pdf]
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 20 Sept || || || Chris gone
+
| 17 Sep || Margaret || Surviving Orals ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 27 Sept || || ||  
+
| 24 Sep || Grace || Figure design ||  
 
|-
 
|-
| 4 Oct || ||   || Chris gone
+
| 1 Oct ||John || Applying to Grad School ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 11 Oct ||   || || Chris gone
+
| 8 Oct || Jessica  || SICB grant draft ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 18 Oct ||  ||  ||  
+
| 15 Oct || Theresa, Eliza ||  WOS/AFO Practice talks || Morgan gone
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 25 Oct || -- || ||  
+
| 22 Oct || Austin, Sam || WOS/AFO Practice talks || Chris gone 
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 1 Nov || || ||  
+
| 29 Oct || --- || --- || Wilson Conference
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 8 Nov || || ||  
+
| 5 Nov || Will || KAPOOWWT on Albatross || Satellite tracking of Wandering Albatross [https://www.nature.com/articles/343746a0]
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 15 Nov ||  || ||  
+
| 12 Nov || Eliza & Sam || Big Grants ||
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 22 Nov || -- || NO MEETING - Thanksgiving ||  
+
| 19 Nov || Austin || Bird Poop ||  
|-  
+
|-
| 29 Nov || || ||
+
| 26 Nov || THANKSGIVING  || ||  
 
|-  
 
|-  
| 6 Dec || || ||  
+
| 3 Dec || || ||  
|-
+
| 13 Dec ||  ||  || EXAM WEEK - optional? 
+
 
|-  
 
|-  
 +
| 10 Dec ||––––––––––––––––|| EXAM WEEK - semester wrap-up  ||
 +
|- 
 
|}
 
|}
 +
  
  
 
[[Category:EEB Seminars]]
 
[[Category:EEB Seminars]]

Latest revision as of 14:48, 1 November 2019

EEB 5894–005: Seminar in Ornithology

This page lists weekly meetings of the UConn Bird Group. Students (grads and undergrads) who are doing research in our labs and who are able to attend on a regular basis should sign up for 1 credit to participate in this class. Students doing research are expected to present at least once a semester; if time permits, twice may be possible. Presentations can include research updates, a paper from the literature, stats questions, practice talk, or other items that benefit from a large, diverse group of ornithologists. Students will need a permission number to enroll; please contact whoever your adviser is.

Please note that the goal of these sessions is for EVERYONE to be engaged and participate in a discussion of the topic at hand. Students should come ready to contribute to the conversation every week. Those of us on the faculty side have a tendency to ramble on and dominate the conversation. We'll try not to do this, but it will be easier for us to behave if you all come with lots to say. If you're new to the group don't worry about asking "dumb questions". They're often the most important ones as they either make the rest of us think about things that we've got complacent about or they show us that we're not communicating things very well.

Meeting time: Tuesdays 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. (although we try to keep meetings to 1hr15 if possible)

Location: Bamford Room (TLS 171b)

If you have other ideas for things worth discussing (especially relating to professional development), please talk to one of the faculty. Past topics that we have discussed include: how to put together a CV for grad schools/job applications, ethics in research, how to write proposals, the mechanics of managing research funds, etc., etc.

Graduate students can sign up to present by logging in to EEBedia and just editing this page. Undergraduates should talk to one of the faculty.

If there is a published paper to read, please put in a link to it. Note, that the actual papers probably will not be accessible unless you are on a computer connected to the UConn network (you can connect from any computer via the UConn library homepage: lib.uconn.edu).

If the date you want is already taken and it says in the notes that it is OK to switch to another date, go ahead and do so (but don't switch someone to a date when they say they will not be there .. and double-check with them that the switch is OK).

Starting Fall 2018: Key Avian Papers in Ornithology and the Ornithologists Who Wrote Them (KAPOOWWTs) Click here

Ladder of Feedback worksheet


Week of: Who Topic Notes
27 Aug –––––––––––––––– Intro session
3 Sep Andrew KAPOOWWT with Martin Wikelski Going wild: what a global small-animal tracking system could do for experimental biologists [1]
10 Sep Austin KAPOOWWT with Margaret Morse Nice Problems of Incubation Periods in North American Birds [2]
17 Sep Margaret Surviving Orals
24 Sep Grace Figure design
1 Oct John Applying to Grad School
8 Oct Jessica SICB grant draft
15 Oct Theresa, Eliza WOS/AFO Practice talks Morgan gone
22 Oct Austin, Sam WOS/AFO Practice talks Chris gone
29 Oct --- --- Wilson Conference
5 Nov Will KAPOOWWT on Albatross Satellite tracking of Wandering Albatross [3]
12 Nov Eliza & Sam Big Grants
19 Nov Austin Bird Poop
26 Nov THANKSGIVING
3 Dec
10 Dec –––––––––––––––– EXAM WEEK - semester wrap-up