Biology of the Algae
EEB 3250 (undergraduate) AND
EEB 5250 (graduate)
Lectures: TuTh 9:30-10:45 AM, and Labs: Th 2-4:50 PM in TLS 181
4 credits Satisfies the laboratory and plant diversity requirements for the EEB major
Louise A. Lewis Associate Professor
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
office: 200 Pharmacy/Biology Building
voice: +1 860-486-6723
office hours: M by appointment.
- Virtual Phycology Collection at the George Stafford Torrey Herbarium, University of Connecticut. This contains over 800 images of pressed, dried algae on herbarium sheets.
- AlgaeBASE is the best web resource on diverse algae. Created and maintained by Michael Guiry, it includes a database of over 120,000 algae names and taxonomic authorities, a rich source of literature, and thousands of algae images.
- Some journals focusing on algal research: Journal of Phycology, Phycologia, Protist, American Journal of Botany, European Journal of Phycology, Phycological Research, Journal of Applied Phycology, Nova Hedwigia.
Algae in the News
- Informative links re: algae aquaculture and algae as biofuels:
- NPR podcast about Prochlorococcus, an extremely tiny, yet extremely important marine cyanobacterium.
- Massive green algae bloom at site of 2008 Olympics Sailing Course. Most news agencies incorrectly reported the culprit as a "blue-green" alga.