(Redirected from User:AndyBush)
Email: andrew.bush [at] uconn.edu
Office (EEB): Torrey Life Sciences 472
Lab: Torrey Life Sciences 469
Office (Geo): Beach 240
Phone (EEB): 860-486-9359
Phone (Geo): 860-486-9385
Research Interests (click for more info)
- Changes in marine paleoecology and biodiversity
- The Late Devonian (Frasnian/Famennian) mass extinction
- Upper Devonian stratigraphy in the Appalachian Basin
- Hartford Basin paleontology
- Paleobiology Seminar (various topics; EEB 5895/GSCI 6130)
- Paleobiology (EEB/GSCI 4120)
- Earth History and Global Change (GSCI 3010)
- Ecology Writing Intensive Section (EEB 2244W)
- Principles of Biology II (BIOL 1108)
- Bush, A. M., and R. K. Bambach. 2015. Sustained Mesozoic-Cenozoic diversification of marine Metazoa: a consistent signal from the fossil record. Geology, in press.
- Getty, P. R., Bush, A. M., and Vellone, D. 2015. Early Jurassic trace fossil localities from fluvial and lacustrine facies of the Hartford Basin in Massachusetts. Guidebook for the 2015 New England Intercollegiate Geological Conference.
- Bush, A. M., Csonka, J. D., DiRenzo, G. V., Over, D. J., Beard, J. A. 2015. Revised correlation of the Frasnian-Famennian boundary and Kellwasser events (Upper Devonian) in shallow marine paleoenvironments of New York State. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 433:233-246.
- Getty, P.R., Hardy, L., and Bush, A.M. 2015. Was the Eubrontes track maker gregarious? Testing the herding hypothesis at Powder Hill Dinosaur Park, Middlefield, Connecticut. Bulletin of the Peabody Museum of Natural History. 56:95–106.
- Fichman, M.E., Crespi, J.M., Getty, P.R., and Bush, A. M. 2015. Retrodeformation of Carboniferous trace fossils from the Narragansett Basin, United States, using raindrop imprints and bedding-cleavage intersection lineation as strain markers. Palaios 30:574-588.
- Bush, A. M. 2014. Commentary on Ecospace Utilization and Guilds in Marine Communities through the Phanerozoic. In F. A. Smith, J. L. Gittleman, and J. H. Brown, eds. Foundations of Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Bush, A. M. 2014. Commentary on Taxonomic diversity estimation using rarefaction. In F. A. Smith, J. L. Gittleman, and J. H. Brown, eds. Foundations of Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Bush, A. M., S. B. Pruss, and J. L. Payne, eds. 2013. Ecosystem Paleobiology and Geobiology. Paleontological Society Papers 19.
- Bush, A. M., and S. B. Pruss. 2013. Theoretical ecospace for ecosystem paleobiology: energy, nutrients, biominerals, and macroevolution. In A. M. Bush, S. B. Pruss, and J. L. Payne, eds. Ecosystem Paleobiology and Geobiology. Paleontological Society Papers 19:1-20.
- Bush, A. M., S. B. Pruss and J. L. Payne. 2013. Ecosystem paleobiology and geobiology: connecting the biological and earth systems. In A. M. Bush, S. B. Pruss, and J. L. Payne, eds. Ecosystem Paleobiology and Geobiology. Paleontological Society Papers 19:xi-xiii.
- Getty, P. R., R. Sproule, D. L. Wagner, and A. M. Bush. 2013. Variation in wingless insect trace fossils: insights from neoichnology and the Pennsylvanian of Massachusetts. Palaios 28:243-258.
- Christie, M., S. M. Holland, and A. M. Bush. 2013. Contrasting the ecological and taxonomic consequences of extinction. Paleobiology 39:538-559.
- Getty, P. R., A. Judge, J. Csonka, and A. M. Bush. 2012. Were Early Jurassic dinosaurs gregarious? Reexamining the evidence from Dinosaur Footprint Reservation in Holyoke, Massachusetts. Pp. A1-A18 in M. A. Thomas, ed. Guidebook for Fieldtrips in Connecticut and Massachussets: Geological Society of America Northeast Section, 47th Annual Meeting, Hartford, Connecticut. State Geological and Natural History of Connecticut Guidebook 9.
- Bush, A. M., and Novack-Gottshall, P. M. 2012. Modelling the ecological-functional diversification of marine Metazoa on geological time scales. Biology Letters, 8:151-155.
- Bush, A. M., R. K. Bambach, and D. H. Erwin. 2011. Ecospace utilization during the Ediacaran Radiation and the Cambrian Eco-explosion. Pp. 111-133 in M. LaFlamme, J. D. Schiffbauer, and S. Q. Dornbos, eds. Quantifying the evolution of early life: numerical approaches to the study of fossils and ancient ecosystems. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Bush, A. M., and R. K. Bambach. 2011. Paleoecologic megatrends in marine metazoa. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 39:241-269.
- Getty, P. R., and A. M. Bush. 2011. Sand pseudomorphs of dinosaur bones: Implications for (non-) preservation of tetrapod skeletal material in the Hartford Basin, USA. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 302:407–414.
- Bush, A. M., and R. I. Brame. 2010. Multiple paleoecological controls on the composition of marine fossil assemblages from the Frasnian (Late Devonian) of Virginia, with a comparison of ordination methods. Paleobiology 36:573–591.
- Bush, A. M., and G. M. Daley. 2008. Comparative paleoecology of fossils and fossil assemblages. In P. H. Kelley and R. K. Bambach, eds. From evolution to geobiology: research questions driving paleontology at the start of a new century. Paleontological Society Paper 14:289-317.
- Wang, S. C., and A. M. Bush. 2008. Adjusting global extinction rates to account for taxonomic susceptibility. Paleobiology 34:434–455.
- Bush, A. M., R. K. Bambach, and G. M. Daley. 2007. Changes in theoretical ecospace utilization in marine fossil assemblages between the mid-Paleozoic and late Cenozoic. Paleobiology 33:76–97.
- Bambach, R. K., A. M. Bush, and D. H. Erwin. 2007. Autecology and the filling of ecospace: key metazoan radiations. Palaeontology 50:1–22.
- Bush, A. M., M. Kowalewski , A. Hoffmeister , R. K. Bambach, and G. M. Daley. 2007. Potential paleoecologic biases from size-filtering of fossils. Palaios 22:612–622.
- Bush, A. M. 2006. Crime Scene Investigation—Permian. Review of Erwin, D. H. 2006. Extinction: How Life on Earth Nearly Ended 250 Million Years Ago. Science 311: 1868-1869.
- Bush, A. M., and R. K. Bambach. 2004. Did alpha diversity increase during the Phanerozoic? Lifting the veils of taphonomic, latitudinal, and environmental biases in the study of paleocommunities. Journal of Geology 112:625–642.
- Bush, A. M., M. J. Markey, and C. R Marshall. 2004. Removing bias from diversity curves: the effects of spatially organized biodiversity on sampling-standardization. Paleobiology 30:666–686.
- Bush, A. M., M. G. Powell, W. S. Arnold, T. M. Bert, and G. M. Daley. 2002. Time-averaging, evolution, and morphologic variation. Paleobiology 28:9–25.